2017 Clark–Thompson Presidents’ Academy & Officers’ Institute
Dates, Location & Registration
- January 13 – 15, 2017, Renaissance Indianapolis North Hotel in Carmel, Indiana (11925 North Meridian St. Carmel IN 46032)
- All officer elections should be completed and reported no later than November 20.
- All registrations must be completed by Wednesday, December 10.
- Registration is to be completed through myAKL under “2017 Clark-Thompson Presidents’ Academy and Officer Institute” in Events.
Clark – Thompson Presidents’ Academy Attendees
- All newly elected Chapter Presidents are required to attend.
- In order to be eligible and serve as Chapter President, that member must be able attend Presidents’ Academy.
- Any second term Presidents may be invited to Presidents’ Academy pending approval from the National Headquarters. Please let the National Headquarters know if you plan on running for a second term.
- Any Colony Presidents will be invited to attend pending the completion, submission, and approval of their Chartering Petition.
- Please consult your local bylaws for eligibility minimums in order to be eligible for office.
Officers Institute Attendance
- All newly elected Chapter Treasurers are strongly encouraged to attend.
- All newly elected Recruitment Chairs are strongly encouraged to attend.
- All newly elected Risk Managers are strongly encouraged to attend.
- One representative of the Chapter Corporation, Alumni Board, or volunteer is strongly encouraged to attend our Volunteer Training on Saturday, January 14.
Cost to Attend
Total Cost for Presidents' Academy
$ 0per peson
- Hotel and meal costs for each President are completely paid for my the AKL Education Foundation. Some travel support will be provided.
- For any chapter traveling from the western portion of US, hotel can be provided on Thursday if needed.
Total Cost for Officers Institute
$ 0 + Travelper person
- Hotel and meal costs for each attendee are completely paid for by Alpha Kappa Lambda.
- Travel costs to Indianapolis must be covered by the chapter.
- Chapters traveling from western portion of US, hotel can be provided on Thursday if needed.
What To Pack
- Attire is business professional for the entire duration of the event. (at a minimum, slacks and/or khakis, button down shirt with tie and jacket). Jeans, gym-shorts and t-shirts are not appropriate during any scheduled programming.
- There may be time in the evening to relax and enjoy the comforts of the hotel. The hotel does have an indoor pool and fitness center. Pack accordingly if you wish to use either.
- Be aware, Indianapolis average low temperature is 19 and high is 38 in January. There is a very high chance there will be snow on the ground.
- Computer- Each attendee must bring a laptop or tablet.
- Toiletries- The hotel does provide basic amenities, but you are encouraged to bring your own.
- CREDIT/DEBIT CARD: YOU MUST SWIPE FOR INCIDENTALS TO YOUR HOTEL ROOM.
Travel – Flying
- AKL staff members will coordinate shuttling members from the Indianapolis airport and will be stationed at baggage claim to assist. When booking your flight: Arrive no later than 2:30pm (EST) on Friday, January 13, Depart no earlier than 2pm (EST) on Sunday, January 15. Contact NHQ staff immediately if you need assistance booking your travel.
- Chapters on the west coast can fly to Indianapolis on Thursday if needed and hotel rooms will be available for any early arrivals.
- If possible, wear AKL apparel so that you can be easily spotted by other presidents and staff. Some of you will be on the same flights. If you are delayed, please contact a staff member when possible and we will make arrangements to get you to the hotel safely. We will also be tracking flights, so do not panic if delayed.
- If you have an afternoon or evening flight on Sunday, make sure to bring extra spending money as lunch and dinner will not be provided. The airport has numerous restaurants both before and after the TSA checkpoint.
Travel – Driving
- Arrive no later than 2:30pm (EST) on Friday, January 13. You will not be able to depart the hotel any earlier than 12pm (EST) on Sunday, January 15.
- There is no charge for parking at the hotel.
- We recommend that all chapters should make every effort to have all those attending travel together. Driving will be the most cost-effective method of transportation for any chapter attending.