The requirements for chartering to chapter status is as follows:
- Colony is current financially with National Fraternity. This means the colony has cleared its account to the National Fraternity. Part of this requirement is for the colony to provide NHQ with a current operating budget and financial statement.
- The colony meets the size requirements established for its specific expansion effort. The size requirement for the colony will be based on the campus environment and determined by the Executive Director of the Fraternity.
- The Grade Point Average for the colony is above the all-men’s average. This is a requirement of our chapters and therefore a colony must be meeting this requirement prior to being chartered.
- The colony has an approved Advisor and is incorporated. A volunteer structure must be in place to provide the continuity needed for the chapter to survive.
- The colony has attained or attempted to attain University and/or IFC recognition. Even though recognition is not required a colony is expected to attempt to attain recognition and to participate actively as long as it does not hinder the group.
- The colony has an unencumbered bank balance of $250. The colony must have a cash reserve in the bank of at least $250. This amount is over and above any expected expenses the colony currently expects to pay.
- The colony has established a chapter fund through the AKL Education Foundation with at least $250. In an effort to establish a future scholarship fund the colony must open an account with the AKL Education Foundation. The amount of $250 is used to keep the fund created open. Funds the chapter wishes to access for scholastic purposes must be over and above the $250.
- The colony has demonstrated the ability to operate and recruit at a chapter level. The colony must be operating properly and must be able to prove it will continue growing and replacing members.